DEADLINE EXTENDED: JANUARY 29, 2017
Short Forms Contest Guidelines:
- The cost of entry is dependent upon the location of your residence.
- If you reside outside of Canada (whether you are Canadian or not), the fee is $42 USD to enter your first submission, and $7 USD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- If you reside in Canada (at the Canadian address associated with your Submittable account, regardless of citizenship), the fee is $35 CAD to enter your first submission, and $7 CAD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- All initial submissions include a one-year subscription to Room. Additional entries do not include an additional free subscription.
- Each entry can consist of one or two prose poems, flash fictions, or flash creative non-fictions of up to 500 words each. No partial refunds are provided for entering only one piece in your initial entry. No refunds are provided for additional entries because you mistakenly entered one piece in your initial entry, instead of two.
- Authors are not required to clarify the genre(s) they are writing in, as long as each individual work is 500 words or less. All submissions, regardless of genre, will be judged in a single category, and two prizes of $500 will be awarded.
- Your name cannot appear ANYwhere in or on your submission. Judging will be blind. If your name is anywhere on your submission, it will be disqualified. Remove all bylines. Ensure that your name and any personal details (that would make your identity obvious to the judge) are not included in your submission document, including in headers, footers, titles, or in the file name. If your name is key to your nonfiction piece or poem, then please change all references to your name TO A PSEUDONYM for the judging period. You will have the opportunity to change it back if your piece is selected as a winner. Conversely, if you wish to publish under a pseudonym, please do not include your pseudonym in the notes or Submittable account information. You will have a chance to provide your pseudonym to the editor, should your piece be chosen as a winner.
- Do not include a cover letter. Do not include a bio. Cover letters and bios will not be forwarded to the judge.
- Each entry must be original, unpublished, not submitted or accepted elsewhere for publication, and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition.
- Previously commissioned Room writers or Room Contest judges are disqualified from entering the contest.
- Room's contests are open to women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people.
- Any submission that does not meet these guidelines will be disqualified. The submission fee is non-refundable.