We will be temporarily closing our general submissions between May 1-July 31, 2020. Our contests will remain open throughout this time, and you can enter using the form below.
General submissions will re-open on August 1st, 2020.
- Thank you for considering Room for the publication of your original short stories, poems, creative non-fiction, or art. Room publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art by women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We strongly suggest you get a sense of our tastes by reviewing material we've published in recent issues—buy newsstand copies, subscribe, borrow from a library, or visit our latest edition online. Alternatively, you can order single copies of specific issues.
- All contributors will be paid upon publication: $50 CAD for one page, $60 for two pages, $90 for three pages, $120 for four pages, $150 for five or more pages.
- We do not charge for submissions.
- Check our home page regularly for updates on upcoming themes and deadlines. If your work is targeted for a particular theme, it will be considered for that theme as long as it is sent by the deadline. There is no need to add a special note or designation.
- We receive over 2,000 submissions each year and can only publish approximately 80-100 pieces. So send your absolutely best piece of work.
- Size Limits: Fiction and creative non-fiction: Up to 3500 words; Poetry: Up to 5 poems; Art: up to 5 images
- Please be sure to send us work that has not been previously published in print or on-line.
- We do not publish the same writer more than twice a year, and never in consecutive issues.
- To avoid a flood of material by a single submitter or overly frequent submissions, please send only one submission per quarter (one submission of poetry can include up to five poems).
- Do not send a second submission until you have heard back from us considering the first one.
- Tell us in your cover letter whether your submission is exclusive to us or whether you have submitted it to other magazines as well.
- If another magazine accepts for publication work that you have also submitted to Room, advise us immediately.
- We respond to all submissions by email. Our average response time is between two weeks and six months.
- If you are using Hotmail or Gmail, please be sure to designate Room as an approved sender to prevent our response being caught up in your spam filters.
- Please note that the information and guidelines above apply to regular submissions. Our contests have different guidelines. Click on the contest categories below for rules specific to that contest. For information on our annual literary contests and cover art contest, please also visit our contests page.
DEADLINE: JUNE 1, 2020
FIRST PRIZE: $500 + publication in Room
SECOND PRIZE: $250 + publication in Room
HONOURABLE MENTION: $50 + publication on Room's website
Creative Non-fiction Contest Guidelines:
- The cost of entry is dependent upon the location of your residence.
- If you reside outside of Canada (whether you are Canadian or not), the fee is $42 USD to submit your initial entry, and $7 USD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- If you reside in Canada (at the Canadian address associated with your Submittable account, regardless of citizenship), the fee is $35 CAD to submit your initial entry, and $7 CAD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- One submission is one piece of creative non-fiction (memoir, travel writing, nonfiction humour, essay, literary journalism, personal journalism, biography, profile, etc.) of up to 3,500 words. Please double-space all prose submissions.
- Submit your work in Times New Roman 12-point font.
- All initial entries include a one-year subscription to Room. Additional entries do not include an additional free subscription. You must submit an initial entry before submitting an additional entry. If you submit an additional entry without first submitting an initial entry, your additional entry may be disqualified without refund.
- Your name cannot appear ANYWHERE in or on your submission. Submissions will by anonymous to the judges. If your name is anywhere on your submission, it will be disqualified. Remove all bylines. Ensure that your name (legal name, regularly used nickname, or publishing pseudonym) and any personal details (that would make your identity obvious to the judge) are not included in your submission document, including in headers, footers, titles, or in the file name. If your name is in your nonfiction piece, then please change all references to your name TO AN ALIAS for the judging period. You will have the opportunity to change the alias if your piece is selected as a winner. If you wish to publish under a pseudonym, please do not include your pseudonym anywhere within the submission, including in the document file name, headers, footers, titles, or byline. You will have a chance to provide your pseudonym to the editor, should your piece be chosen as a winner.
- You can only upload one document on Submittable. Do not include a cover letter. Do not include a bio. Cover letters and bios will be deleted and will not be forwarded to the judge.
- Each entry must be original, unpublished, not submitted or accepted elsewhere for publication, and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition.
- Room's contests are open to women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We specifically encourage writers with overlapping under-represented identities to submit their work. Previously commissioned Room writers or Room Contest judges are disqualified from entering the contest.
- Any submission that does not meet these guidelines will be disqualified. The submission fee is non-refundable.
- Please direct any questions or concerns to email@example.com