DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2019
FIRST PRIZE: $500 + publication on the cover of an issue of Room
SECOND PRIZE: $50 + publication inside an issue of Room
HONOURABLE MENTION: publication on Room's website
Winners will be published with an artist statement and profiled on Room magazine’s blog. Winners will have the option to submit additional artwork for the issue, which, if selected for publication, will be compensated for at our usual rates.
Cover Art Contest Guidelines:
- The cost of entry is dependent upon the location of your residence.
- If you reside outside of Canada (whether you are Canadian or not), the fee is $42 USD to submit your initial entry, and $7 USD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- If you reside in Canada (at the Canadian address associated with your Submittable account, regardless of citizenship), the fee is $35 CAD to submit your initial entry, and $7 CAD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. No refunds are provided for selecting the incorrect fee option.
- One cover art contest initial entry includes up to three images and corresponding artist statement(s). Please copy-and-paste the artist statement(s) in the section marked "Artist Statement" on the entry form in Submittable.
- Each entry must not have appeared on the cover of another publication and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition. Works that have been published on your own website or on the interior pages of a book or magazine, and or have been featured in a public exhibition are eligible.
- Please upload your artwork(s) in JPG or PDF form. Maximum file size is 1 MB. Winners will be contacted for high resolution images.
- There are no official guidelines for artwork dimensions, but please note that we will have to crop any artwork so that it fits the cover space (approximately 6 inches x 7 inches with a bleed). You can check out past covers of Room here.
- Artist statements must be under 150 words regardless of the number of artworks submitted. An artist statement is NOT a bio, it is statement about or introduction to your artwork. Do not include a bio. Do not include a cover letter. Bios and cover letters will be deleted and will not be forwarded to the judge.
- All initial entries include a one-year subscription to Room. Additional entries do not include an additional free subscription. You must submit an initial entry before submitting an additional entry. If you submit an additional entry without first submitting an initial entry, your additional entry may be disqualified without refund.
- Your name cannot appear ANYwhere in or on your submission. Judging will be blind. If your name is anywhere on your submission, it will be disqualified. Remove, cover, or blur all artist's signatures from your artwork. Ensure that your name (legal name, regularly used nickname, or artist pseudonym) and any personal details (that would make your identity obvious to the judge) are not included in your submission, including in titles, file names, or in the artist's statement.
- Room's contests are open to women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We specifically encourage writers with overlapping under-represented identities to submit their work. Previously commissioned Room artists or Room Contest judges are disqualified from entering the contest.
- Any submission that does not meet these guidelines will be disqualified. The entry fee is non-refundable.
- Please direct any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org