Deadline: November 30, 2017
$35 CAD for entries from a Submittable account with a Canadian address.
$42 USD for entries from a Submittable account with an address outside of Canada.
All additional entries $7 each.
Entry includes a one-year subscription to Room. Additional entries do not include an additional free subscription.
All winners will be published with an artist statement and profiled on Room magazine’s blog. Winners will have the option to submit additional artwork for the issue, which, if selected for publication, will be compensated for at our usual rates.
FIRST PRIZE: $500 + publication on the cover of issue 41.2 of Room
SECOND PRIZE: $50 + publication in issue 41.2 of Room
HONOURABLE MENTION: publication on Room's website
Judge: Zainub Verjee, Executive Director of the Ontario Association of Art Galleries
Rules & Details:
Please direct any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Room's contests are open to women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people.
- One cover art contest entry includes up to three images and corresponding artist statement(s). Please copy-and-paste the artist statement(s) in the section marked "Artist Statement" on the entry form in Submittable.
- Artist statements must be under 200 words regardless of the number of artworks submitted.
- The cost of entry is dependent upon the location of your residence.
- If you reside outside of Canada (whether you are Canadian or not), the fee is $42 USD to enter your first submission, and $7 USD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. The submission fee is non-refundable.
- If you reside in Canada (at the Canadian address associated with your Submittable account, regardless of citizenship), the fee is $35 CAD to enter your first submission, and $7 CAD for each additional entry. Residence is based on the address associated with your Submittable account. This is where your subscription will be shipped. Under "Fee," select the correct payment amount from the drop-down menu. You must choose the appropriate submission fee option, or your piece may be disqualified. The submission fee is non-refundable.
- You must pay for a first submission before you submit a second file as an additional entry.
- All first submissions include a one-year subscription to Room. Additional entries do not include an additional free subscription.
- Judging will be blind. Please ensure that your name, any personal details, and bio are not included anywhere in your submission document, in the image file names, in the title of your submission, or in the corresponding artist statements. (You will have a chance to include your contact information in your Submittable account. Please insure your contact information in Submittable is up-to-date so that we may contact you.). Again, do not include your name and bio in your artist's statement; you will have a chance to send us your bio after your work has been selected. Including your name may lead to disqualification.
- Cover letters are not accepted or forwarded to the judge. Please do not include one.
- Please upload your artwork(s) in JPG or PDF form. Maximum file size is 1 MB. Winners will be contacted for high resolution images.
- There are no official guidelines for artwork dimensions, but please note that we will have to crop any artwork so that it fits the cover space (approximately 6 inches x 7 inches with a bleed). You can check out past covers of Room here.
- Each entry must be original, and must not have appeared on the cover of another publication (works that have been published on your own website or on the interior pages of a book or magazine, and or have been featured in a public exhibition are eligible), and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition.
- Any entry that does not meet these guidelines may be disqualified.